Courses in technical communication
The ISTC does not offer its own courses in technical communication. Instead, it accredits courses run by others, keeps in contact with courses run by public higher education institutions and publicises other courses where relevant.
This page describes three types of course:
- Training courses in technical communication (including ISTC accredited courses)
- Courses offered by Higher Education institutions, including those in related fields
- Other courses, including those suitable for CPD purposes
If you are thinking of studying a technical communication course, You may also be interested in some information for potential students.
Courses we have reviewed and accredited are publicised on our website (see below). We do not maintain a detailed list of other training courses here, but many other courses are publicised in our free newsletter, InfoPlus. The latest issue is available online, and you can also subscribe to receive a copy by email.
Currently accredited courses:
- Armada Technical Author Training Programme
- Cherryleaf Technical author basic/induction training course
- ESTON Technical/Commercial Authorship
- TCTrainNet tekom Certificate training in Technical Communication
If you are a provider and want to have your course accredited, see Information for course providers.
We have identified some formal academic courses related to technical or scientific communication, and are always looking for more. The courses listed below are for information only – prospective students must contact the institution itself for current information.
The courses are listed in no particular order, and inclusion here does not imply endorsement by the ISTC.
University of Limerick
The University of Limerick provides:
- A Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication (distance learning)
- An MA in Technical Communication and E-learning (full-time or part-time)
For more information, see the Technical Communication section of the University of Limerick website.
Courses with other designations
Although not designated as ‘technical communication’ courses by the providers, the following courses are in related fields and may be of interest to you depending on the sector in which you work:
- Norwich University of the Arts offers an MA in Communication Design
- Imperial College London offers an MSc in Science Communication
- The Open University offers:
- Middlesex University London offers a range of Postgraduate Professional Practice Programmes (postgraduate certificate, diploma and masters qualifications, offered by distance/blended learning. See also the course overview.
- The University of Portsmouth offers an MA in Translation Studies by distance learning.
The Open University provides a suite of courses under the heading of CPD for IT Professionals. These may suit those who cannot commit to a full course of academic study.
We do not maintain a detailed list of other training courses on our website – the details change too frequently and we rely on the providers for information. Many other courses are publicised in our free newsletter, InfoPlus. The latest issue is available online, and you can also subscribe to receive a copy by email.