How to Join the ISTC
Membership is open to all – whether you are interested or involved in technical communication of any kind.
There are five steps to joining the ISTC:
1) Choose a type of membership
|Fellow||This grade recognises those with substantial experience in senior roles.|
|Member||For experienced technical communicators.|
|Junior||Entry level membership for professionals starting out in the field.|
|Student||An introductory membership for those studying technical communication.|
|Associate||Choose this membership if you are interested in technical communication, but not directly involved.|
If you’re not sure which type of membership is right for you, you can read more about membership grades or contact us.
2) Tell us about yourself (complete the application form)
Complete the ISTC Membership Form.
3) Send us supporting evidence
Remember to send us:
- Current CV giving details of your education, qualifications and experience. We use this to confirm your membership grade.
- Supporting evidence if you are applying for student or retired membership.
Note: we may contact you and ask for further information to help assess your application.
4) Pay your application fee
At this stage, you only need to pay the application fee.
You can pay the application fee by cheque or pay online (contact the ISTC for bank details).
5) Pay your membership fee
Once your application has been accepted, you will be asked to pay the membership fee. This will be a pro rata rate from the time of your acceptance to the end of the calendar year (the ISTC will calculate this and inform you of the amount you’ll need to pay).
The membership fees for 2019 are as follows:
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||£30|
(first year only) *
|Business Affiliate||See current rates on our Business Affiliates pages.|
*Students must be on a recognised course in technical communications.
**Retirement age, 65, with supporting evidence.
Want to upgrade your membership?
- Please download and complete this form.
- Email the completed Grade Transfer form, and a copy of your up-to-date CV, to membership services.
- Pay the transfer fee of £30.
Code of Professional Practice
Remember that by applying for membership of the ISTC you agree to adhere to Code of Professional Practice and other regulations of the Institute.