In Glasgow on the 25th October, a loud and dark Waxy O’Connors played intimate host to the quarterly meet-up of tech comms professionals based in Scotland’s Central Belt.
Over a few light drinks, and with no specific agenda or discussion points, attendees mingled and added their own $0.02 to various conversations, including:
- the strength of the jobs market in Scotland versus elsewhere in Europe;
- the differences of writing in a team of one to a team of eight;
- MadCap Flare, its dominance of the HAT market in recent years, and how version 8 measures up;
- the recent improvements to the ISTC Web site;
- how small the world really is when it comes to the Tech Writer community, especially in Central Belt Scotland;
- the differences of technical documentation between industries, but also the strong similarities involved
and many more besides. Copies of ISTC Communicator were also made available to those without their own.
On a personal level, having just returned from a year working abroad, it was pleasing to see these meetings continuing and attendance being maintained at a consistent level. However, the meetings are open to all styles of professional communicator and we will always welcome technical communicators from all ends of the industry, whether you’re an ISTC member or not.
So please do join us at the next meeting in January/February. Keep an eye on the ISTC site for details nearer the time.
Report written by Graham Campbell.