Careers in technical communication
Where will you find technical communicators in the workplace?
You will find technical communicators anywhere that technical information needs to be communicated to others. A technical communicator wrote the user manual that comes with your washing machine, the online help you see when using software applications and may develop many other types of material (instructional videos, software simulations, processes and procedures).
Why become a technical communicator?
The Twitter hashtag #whytechcomm contains tweets from technical communicators explaining what they love about their profession. Here are some examples:
I love digesting information, asking questions, and creating something useful for the reader. And to learn about cool stuff! #whytechcomm
— Kay (@odhran25) September 24, 2014
I love seeing other people achieve something due to clear instructions. #whytechcomm
— RoboColum(n) (@robocolumn) September 22, 2014
— Alison Peck (@ajp_cs) September 23, 2014
Careers information for schools and colleges
The ISTC is keen to tell school and university career departments about technical communication as a career. If you’d like to talk to someone about this, get in touch.
Here are descriptions, prepared by ISTC Members, of the profession of scientific and technical communication:
- Thinking of a career in Technical Communications?, by the ISTC (PDF).
- Technical Writer career factsheet for secondary schools and career fairs , by David Farbey (PDF).
- Graphic novel – The CEO and the technical communicator by Cherryleaf (PDF).
- School lesson (Year 8) – Technical writing in twenty minutes (YouTube)
- A day in the life of a technical communicator articles – A series of articles in Communicator magazine.
- A day in the life of a technical communicator videos – interviews on YouTube
Technical communicators’ job titles
Technical communicators in the workplace can appear under a number of different job titles. These include:
- Information Designers
- Publication Managers
- Documentation Managers
- Technical Authors
- Technical Writers
- Information Developers
- Content Strategists
- Technical Communicators
How the ISTC can help you with your career in technical communication
The ISTC provides:
- A mentoring scheme, where junior members receive the support, advice, guidance and encouragement of a more senior member of the ISTC
- A supportive environment where you can discuss issues with your peers
- Networking opportunities
- A jobs board